Being in a car accident, no matter how minor it is, can be one of the most frightening experiences that you can have in your life.
What you do after the accident can have a major effect on your compensation claim. There are time limits for making a claim and the process can be complicated. Here are 5 things you should do after a car accident to make this process a little easier:
- If you’re hurt, make sure you receive medical treatment and follow any medical advice that you’re given about treating your injuries.
- If you can, use your mobile phone to take photos of the damage of your car and the other car(s) in the accident. Also take photos of where those cars are positioned after the accident.
- Write down the registration, make, model and colour of the other cars involved in the accident, as well as your own.
- Report the accident to Police and get an event number. You’ll need this later.
- Complete an Accident Notification Form. This form is sent to the CTP insurer of the vehicle at fault in the accident. Once it’s processed, you’re entitled to receive up to $5,000 worth of medical treatment. You only have 28 days from the date of the accident to do this, so you shouldn’t wait until it’s too late because there’s no extension of time allowed.
If you have been injured in a car accident, contact me for help and specialist advice.